A Farm, Then a Rail Station
The land that became Gilberts was first claimed in the spring of 1836 by E.R. Starks and Elijah Rich in what was then Rutland Township, and in 1839 Albro Gilberts arrived and established a farm at what is now the center of the village. A post office named Gilberts Station followed around 1852 near a Chicago & Northwestern Railroad stop that made the settlement a shipping point for local farmers' milk bound for Chicago, and the village itself was platted in 1855 but not incorporated until 1890.
Foundations Set Before the Village Had a Name
With a 35-year gap between Albro Gilberts's 1839 farm and the village's 1855 platting, and another 35 years before incorporation in 1890, Gilberts grew slowly enough that its oldest foundations were likely built to serve a working farm and rail-shipping point rather than a platted town center. That long, gradual build-out sits on the same Kane County glacial till found across the area, where clay content shifting with the seasons is a factor whether the foundation in question dates to the farm era or the rail-station years that followed.